“Afghanistan’s Operation Barnevernet” ? : Norwegian victim in Kabul

0
Afghan security personnel stand guard as smoke rises from the Intercontinental Hotel after an attack in Kabul, Afghanistan, Sunday, Jan. 21, 2018. Gunmen stormed the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul, killing at least five people, including a foreigner, and setting off a 12-hour gun battle with security forces that continued into Sunday morning, as frantic guests tried to escape from fourth and fifth-floor windows. (AP Photo/Rahmat Gul)

A Norwegian man who was injured in the Taliban attack at the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul, Afghanistan, in which 22 people died, suffered injuries from falling and smoke inhalation but is in stable condition, a hospital said Thursday.

Jan Kaare Austrheim, a spokesman for the Haukeland university hospital in Bergen, confirmed that Arne Strand was in their care and was being examined. The 59-year-old was flown to Norway a day earlier.

The family has asked for understanding that it is not possible to provide more details on how the injuries occurred, Austrheim added in an email to The Associated Press.

A Norwegian medical development research institute has said Strand, its assistant manager, was at the hotel Saturday when the 13-hour siege took place in the Afghan capital.

The Chr. Michelsen Institute called Strand one of Norway’s foremost Afghanistan experts who had often visited the country in the past decade. He was in Kabul for “a routine trip for CMI.”

CMI, an independent development research institute, said Strand had been brought to safety immediately.

(N.Sethu)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *